A custom event is a virtual event that was created from one or more events, optionally filtered down by a particular set of properties, and given a name. You can use custom events to:
- Merge two events into a single event ("User Signup" + "Account Created" -> "Signup")
- Create an event based on a filter on another event ("Purchase" where Country = "US" -> "US Purchases")
Imagine your business has two ways for users to track ads: they can convert from ad, or simply view it. You represent each of these actions with Mixpanel events named "Ad Conversion" and "Ad Impression," respectively. Later, you decide that you want to setup a funnel to track how many users are seeing any ads at all. So what do you do?
You can create a custom event containing "Ad Conversion" and "Ad Impression," and then save it as "Watch Ads.” Now you can use the "Watch Ads" custom event as a funnel step just like a regular event. Then, any time a user performs an "Ad Conversion" or "Ad Impression" action, they'll be included in that step. You can also use this new custom event in your other reports, such as Retention.
- Expand the Event dropdown in either an Insights, Funnels, Retention, or Formulas report.
- Select Create Custom.
- Select the events and properties you’d like to include.
- Name your custom event, and click Save.
To view, edit, or delete any custom event, navigate to Lexicon.
In Lexicon, click on the Custom Events tab.
Here you can see a list of all the custom events in the project. Click on the name of the event to edit its details.
To delete a custom event, check the box beside the title of all the custom events you want to delete, then click the delete button at the top of the list.
Was this page useful?